Could I please remind parents that the school very rarely sends out paper notes regarding school events. Information is placed on the school calendar (on the school website), in the weekly newsletter "Scoop", on individual class blogs (in the case of class excursions) and on the front notice board. We also send out reminders through push alerts on the school app. All parents should be reading these on a regular basis or in the case of the Scoop and push alerts when notified. Many thanks for your support with this.
Academic Challenge - Broulee P.S. hosted the Eurobodalla Academic Challenge this week and I congratulate both Mark Rutter and Rachel Dunn who developed and coordinated the day. – The focus was on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) and nine local primary and high schools participated. The following is feedback from Mark and Rachel:
- We were extremely impressed by the teamwork, creativity and energy of visiting school teams who, almost without exception, acquitted themselves very well.
- As the day evolved, attention to criteria and creative interpretations of same - made for moments that were both enterprising and entertaining and showcased some high level thinking skills from individual students.
- The challenge was wide open until the final task when a few schools experienced technical difficulties at the most inopportune times! :) Frustrating for the students we're sure but part and parcel of the design process.
- Additionally, costumes were part of the requirements for the day and it evident that there was considerable variation in preparation and quality. Special mention to Batemans Bay Public for a highly creative and well-thought out costume, presented by all team members in a highly articulate manner. Moruya Public also clearly put in a lot of work.
- The primary teams in particular were cohesive, co-operative, task-oriented and capable.
Feedback from other schools and principals has also been extremely positive regarding the nature and organisation of the day and the student engagement and learning during the tasks.
Regional Selection – Congratulations to the following three students who will now represent the region in the relevant state carnivals:
- Ziggy Clare – 1st in the Regional Cross Country
- Abby Dunn - 4th in the Regional Cross Country
- Michael Griffiths - Rugby
Afternoon emergency notes – The school has a system that in emergencies parents can contact the front office to get an urgent message delivered to a student. At the moment we have many parents contacting the school to give a reminder to children. We do not have the resources to deliver "reminders" particularly to older students and ask parents to only contact the school in urgent situations. The safety of our students will always come first but parents must take responsibility for the organisation of their children.
Planning for 2017 – Just a reminder about 2017 enrolments. We have had a large number of families inquiring about vacancies and we would like to cover our local families before we look at Non-local enrolments.
Sport - today we are holding the ball games and field events for the athletics carnival. This coming Friday we will be holding our track events and Marching competition. We would love to see parents attend to watch their children, even if only for a short time.